I made something this morning that has *already* been a little life saver for me.
The "Cool It" Jar.
You see, timeouts stopped working. They'd use the timeouts to continue fighting with us.
Us: "alright, time out is over."
Chaos Twin: "NO ITS NOT! I'm NOT LEAVING TIME OUT!"
The process is simple now. We talked about how when our tempers are short or we are being brats, that it means our brains are all swirled and need settled, just like the glitter in the jar. Whenever someone is acting out or needs a moment to chill before saying or doing something unacceptable, we grab the jar and give it a good shake and just watch it settle. We take a few deep breaths and remind ourselves that our mind is calming down now too. Beauty part? It takes a while for the glitter to settle, about the time of our timeouts in fact. And they will even give it a shake and watch it again sometimes.
Now for the tutorial
- a jar of some kind. I STRONGLY suggest a plastic one. (we used the Costco sized tub of Nutella here)
- warm water
- Elmer's Glitter Glue (we used blue Elmers "Galactic Glitter with Space Debris)
- glitter of your choice (we used fine holographic and white chunky)
- food coloring
- e6000 adhesive
- clean your jar and fill 2/3 full with warm water.
- add a few globs (TBSP size about) of the glue). allow it to sit for a minute or so. Screw on the lid and shake it really well.
- If you want the water a brighter color, now's the time to add your food coloring. 1 drop does it usually!
- Allow any foam on the top to settle and carefully add more water.
- Sprinkle in more glitter. Don't go crazy here, but a good amount.
- Allow the water to cool. Glue on the lid. Allow to dry.
- Watch your little ones become calm! AWESOME!
Think it'll work for your kids/grandkids? Let me know if you make one, I'd love to hear!
ps- this certainly isn't the most original idea out there. my cousin posted something like it on facebook and i ran with the idea using what we had on hand. :)